Allow me to introduce myself...

February 29, 2008

"Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely,
"and go on till you come to the end; then stop."

Lest the Queen of Hearts should threaten a decapitation, let's begin at the beginning... I'd like to say that I need no introduction, but that would be just a little bit cocky of me, wouldn't it? Well, as you can see, I'm Allison Wonderland. Allison is my given name, and I chose a pseudonym from which I wouldn't be completely disassociated. (I guess that makes it a pseudo-pseudonym.) The Wonderland moniker comes courtesy of a friend. The first time she called me Allison Wonderland, I immediately thought that it would make a consummate pen name. It's simple, it's familiar, it's easy to remember.

I've been writing since I learned to write, but I only started writing erotica in the summer of last year, shortly after graduating from college. While perusing the Net under the nebulous search words of "call for submissions," I came across Queer Writers. I noticed past postings inviting writers to submit erotica for anthologies, as well as news about forthcoming erotica collections, and the genre piqued my interest. So, I continued exploring, and that's when I discovered the Erotica Readers & Writers Assocation (ERWA).

After browsing through their Call for Submissions page, I decided to enter a contest hosted by For the Girls. So, I wrote a story in accordance with the competition theme of discovery, sent it off, and waited patiently for the results. Okay, that's a lie. I waited impatiently, nervously, anxiously, and all the other adverbs used to convey the heebie-jeebies. While I am confident in my writing ability, I don't like to be arrogant about it, because you just never know until you get the yes (or the no). The next month, I received word from the webmistress that my story, "Quite Contrary," earned an Honorable Mention in the competition. I was tickled hot pink.

Shortly after that, I wrote and submitted "Bowl Me Over" to Wetter, an anthology edited by Nicole Foster and forthcoming from Alyson Books. Two weeks later, I was notified of the editor's decision: I am pleased to announce that Nicole Foster has chosen your story for inclusion in WETTER. You know how the song goes: "Darling, it's better down where it's wetter, take it from me." :)

Then came The Longest Kiss, a collection in e-book format edited by Chrissie Bentley and tentatively scheduled for a summer release from Mojocastle Press. The anthology will feature two works of flash fiction, the 100-word "Guiltless Pleasure," and a longer work called "The Cliterary Elite."

I've decided that in addition to acceptances, I will (read: might possibly) document rejections in my blog, at least some of them. It might be - forgive the truism - therapeutic. I'll start with a rejection I received from writer and editor Alison Tyler. Regarding a piece I submitted back in August, a story entitled "Exquisite," she said that the work "read like poetry" and that she was "sure [I'll] be able to [place the piece elsewhere] without a problem." I thought about that and realized that while it was, of course, a rejection, it was a rejection of the best kind: the piece was rejected not because the writing was dreadful, but because it just wasn't a good fit for that particular collection of stories. Actually, the story is no longer a story. It's now a poem. I figured, if it reads like poetry, it might as well be poetry. The next piece I submitted to Alison, a longer work entitled "Flick Chicks," received the green light (or the yellow light, I should say, as it's not a good idea to count my ducklings before they've hatched). She told me that she'd "love to use this story in [her] Spanking anthology! It's just perfect." Now that's the kind of response that writers live for.

All right, well, I think I've come to the end, so I'm going to heed the King's advice and stop.

Curiouser and curiouser,
Allison Wonderland

5 comments:

  1. Even though you know I'm not an erotica fan, I def. love how you write. It's so "you." hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have 2 erotic books and as I think I told you, while they're good, they left in some errors. If you notice errors as you're reading erotica, that's not a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm a very thorough proofreader, as you very well know. Not that I always catch everything, but I do the best I can and hope that the editor will correct any errors that I happened to overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, now you can blog it up! I love it!

    Luv,
    Me :-*

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long time since I've read anything that you've written that's not part of just conversation. I love your style of writing. I think it's fun and creative. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.