Stand for Something or You'll Fall for Anything

February 2, 2009

The publication of I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality has generated a profusion of publicity and positive feedback.

Recently, Val Kovalin of Obsidian Bookshelf reviewed the collection. Here's what she had to say about my contribution, "Holy Macaroni (and Cheese)":

A young woman remembers growing up alongside her true love who becomes her wife. This story is filled with lovely, precise details. Take the kids' interpretation of the traditional wedding vows from page 196: "… joined in holy macaroni (and cheese) … speak now or forever hold their horses." Or the gift that one girl presents to the other: a bracelet made of pony beads and plastic pearls that is packaged in a white cardboard box tied with dental floss.

Also, I enjoyed how this author didn't preach for marriage equality. Instead, she presents a low-key, unselfconscious, and believable example of how the world could be, and should be, for this lesbian couple. If I were a lesbian and feeling despair over the state of gay rights in the world, I would return to this story often and re-read for comfort.

I think you'll all agree that I'm entitled to one shrill little squee.

*squeeeee*

There. Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.

To read the review of the anthology in its entirety, please visit Obsidian Bookshelf.

In addition, contributor Jerry L. Wheeler, a staff writer for Out Front Colorado, profiles the publication, as well as its creator and coordinator, Alex Beecroft, in the magazine's latest issue. To read the article, go here and click the Click Here link below the exclamation, "View our new digital edition!" and from there, go to page 14 of the magazine.

Lastly, on Wednesday, February 4, The Jester Show on TalkShoe will be hosting a live chat with a number of the I Do contributors. I don't think I'll be participating (if only this chat involved typing, not talking), but please do check it out and support the other authors. The chat is scheduled to start at 10 P.M. EST / 7 P.M. PST.

Curiouser and curiouser,

Allison Wonderland

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Allie! Yes, you're entitled to a few "squees" for that one. LOL. I'm just so glad to know I have all your letters, and I'll never have to fight a huge crowd just to get your autograph someday! And I can say I knew you when you were just a blue puppet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never have to fight a huge crowd just to get your autograph someday!

    Let's cross our fingers (and our toes, but not our eyes) that the power of suggestion will take the hint and catapult me to semi-super stardom.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.