Bitch and Joan

December 16, 2009

The Joans is my new favorite band.

The group is made up of men who are paying homage to Joan Crawford through music.

I'm a fan of Joan Crawford, too... and I'm also a fan of the movie Mommie Dearest.

I've never read the book it's based on - you can find it at your local bookstore in what Sophia Petrillo calls "The Bitter Children of Celebrities" section - but the film is such a guilty pleasure. It simultaneously takes itself too seriously and doesn't take itself seriously at all. I appreciate the picture for the camp factor, the kitschy nostalgia aspect, the queer quirkiness (or is it quirky queerness?) of it all.

Gawd, I love this song - "Mad at the Dirt" - inspired by the movie and Joan's (alleged) wire hanger hang-up.



Curiouser and curiouser,
Allison Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.