Reading Material Girl

January 3, 2010

This year, I'm keeping the resolutions simple - reasonable, realistic, attainable.

1) Read more. I am a very sporadic reader. I write more than I read, which is counterintuitive, considering that writing is for reading. I've got books, scads of them, that sit on shelves, un-devoured, just yearning to have their spines creased and their pages turned and their words imbibed.

2) Procrastinate less. Why do today what can be put off till tomorrow? Well, what's wrong with the here and now? If I start on a story in advance of the deadline, even just a week in advance, I can work on the piece in small doses, with plenty of time for tweaking and tinkering. The longer I wait, the less time I have for revisions. And while I do work well under pressure, that doesn't mean I can't be creative when I'm calm.

3) Socialize more. You know that book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky? As a writer, there are definitely perks to wallflowerdom, but I shouldn't use my profession as an excuse to stay introverted and undetected. I would prefer to be just as adept at talking as I am at typing, but parity in that department is still a bit of a stretch, so this year, I'm going to try for a balance of 60 (typing) /40 (talking).

Curiouser and curiouser,
Allison Wonderland

2 comments:

  1. No, don't leave ProcrastiNation!! Though, if you do, I could become queen. Hmmm.... *Evil laugh* As for the "read more" thing, I don't think that would even be possible for me, unless I quit my job or something, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to have dual residency...?

    ReplyDelete