Women's Printuition

March 4, 2012

Sapphic Planet is now available in print!

This anthology contains my short story, "Bathing Beauty," one of my first pieces of erotic romance. I submitted the piece for the SP anthology back in 2008, so clearly this project has been in the works for quite some time. And now it's finally seeing the light of gay. Er, day.

Below is the beginning of the piece.

"Did you know that the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was painted by one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?"

Monica turns to me, her brow creased with confusion, her watering can poised above the petunias. "What?"

I extend a thin sheaf of papers in my partner's direction. "See for yourself."

Monica takes the papers, defaced with cherry red ink, and scans the sheets carefully.

"I gave a test in class yesterday," I explain, flicking a leaf from the table. "I test their knowledge, they test my patience. I'm just grateful that nobody said Julia Roberts painted the Mona Lisa."

Monica snickers. "Have you graded all of them?" she queries, returning the execrable exam to me.

"No."

"Then don't count your turtles before they're hatched."

I lunge forward, the rickety wicker chair wobbling against the deck as I attempt to seize the giggling gardener around her waist. But she eludes my grasp, scampering to safety behind a potted plant.

"You know, none of your students would say that Julia Roberts painted the Mona Lisa," Monica informs me. "I mean, if they know that Michelangelo is the Turtle who painted the Sistine Chapel, then surely they know that Leonardo is the Turtle who painted the Mona Lisa."

My eyes launch missiles at my partner. "Are you mocking me, Monica?" I demand, but my teasing tone betrays my bruised ego.


Monica strolls toward me, the leaves crunching like potato chips beneath her feet. "'Mocking' has such negative connotations," she ruminates, settling her bottom onto my thighs, like a child climbing aboard Santa's lap. "I prefer the term 'poking fun.' It's much less disparaging, don't you agree?"

I don't agree. But I don't say so. "We should have children," I say instead...

I hope you're one of those people who likes to finish what she starts.

Curiouser and curiouser,
Allison Wonderland

P.S. You probably noticed that in the photo of Lucille Ball, the caption states that she will be appearing in a movie called Personal Column. I think the film they're referring to is Lured.

No comments:

Post a Comment