As Gay as a Lady Is Pink

February 24, 2014


Are you too pure to be Pink?

If you're reading this blog, chances are you don't put the "Lady" in "Pink Lady."

And that's something to sing about.

So is the 2014 edition of Radclyffe's Best Lesbian Romance series, in which you'll find "Pink Lady Friends," a tale of two teenage lovebirds--and songbirds--whose relationship is about to undergo those magic changes.

Here's my tale, nightingale...

A slow song comes on: "I Love How You Love Me," a gender-neutral girl group great.
 

"May I have this dance?" Jack inquires. He extends his hand. Take it or leave it.



I leave it. "I'm taken."



"With me, I hope."



"By her, you dope."



"What, are you gay or something?" Jack chuckles. It's not mean-spirited, but my heart still feels like it's jumping on a moon bounce.



Ramona looks at me. I look at Ramona, who looks more hopeful than expectant. I take a deep breath.



"As a matter of fact, I'm gay and I'm something." I hitch my hand to Ramona's. "This is my girlfriend," I continue. "She's something else."



"She's also as gay as a lady is pink," Ramona adds, our joined hands swinging to-and-fro like a swishy poodle skirt.



"Unreal," he remarks. In the '50s, that meant exceptional, so we'll take that as a compliment.



"That's the word from the bird," Ramona affirms, and we watch as the dejected duo departs. "May I have this dance?" She extends her hand. Take it or else.



I take it.



We sway together, huddled in a cuddle, because I don't need a Jack in my box or in my arms.



"Leslie, I have so much gay pride in you right now, it's not even funny. I love you."


"I love you, too," I ditto.



"You love U2? I thought you were all about The Ramones."



"Oh, I am all about the Ramones."



The distance between us dwindles, the frenzy of freckles on Ramona's nose getting fainter; the scent of her hair, a duet of almonds and oranges, getting stronger.



"Don't be afraid to take risks," she whispers, kissably close. "No risk, no reward."



My breath zigzags in my throat.



"I could care less what people think," Ramona reminds me. "Could you?"


Could she?

Would she?

Should she?

Well, according to Cleis Press, the stories in this anthology provide "possibility, passion, and promise."

So if that excerpt razzed your berries, then take Rizzo's advice and let's go get 'em.

Curiouser and curiouser,
Allison Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment